Monday, September 14, 2009

Second post! Yay!

Okay, so I had a really busy weekend. I meant to update my blog Saturday, but never got around to it. I apologize!


We had our first real-deal cross country meet on Saturday. The meet we had last weekend was only 4k for women (2.5 miles) and 5k for men (3.1 miles), and our meet at Grinnell this weekend was 6k for women (around 3.75 miles) and 8k for men (5 miles). It was a lot harder, let me assure you! It was pretty nice standing out in the sunshine weather, but not quite so nice for racing. It was hotter and more humid once I started running than I thought, and I went out a lot faster than I wanted to, which made me finish about 2 minutes slower than I'd anticipated. But it is the first time I have actually raced 6k before, so I am not going to complain. It was fun, but really hard.

Meet results: Girls came in 11th, and guys came in tied for 8th. Woo hoo!

But besides the meet this weekend, I spent most of my afternoon on Saturday reading/snoozing, then went to Brucemore with my First Year Seminar class to listen to and watch a performance of "Carmina Burana." It was absolutely amazing! I loved it. It was really powerful and really well done. There were translations on this big screen and I had brought a blanket to sit on instead of a lawn chair, so people in chairs in the VERY front let us sit in front of them, so I could see everything. And as a former orchestra member (go violins!), it was exhilarating to watch them. They totally outperformed my high school, to say the least. :P

Sunday morning was back to the grindstone for me, however, because I had to go up to Hy-Vee and do a shift. It wasn't too bad, though, because yesterday also happened to be my mom's birthday, so I went home (the benefits of being from Cedar Rapids :D) and we went to Red Lobster and then hung out at the house afterwards and had cake, opened presents and the whole bit.

My family is fantastic and I've seen them every weekend for birthdays or something like that, and it's great. I love being in town. I thought it would be annoying, but now I can't imagine being any farther away! My brothers are still really young (7 & 9), so they miss me a lot and like seeing me at least once a week. And, even though they won't admit it, I think my parents like it too. :P

Anyways, now I am back to my homework (just taking a little break... hee hee). Gender studies, here I come!

0 comments: